Thursday, July 22, 2010

Walton Lighthouse

While driving home from Halifax we took a lil detour to visit the Walton Lighthouse. I had heard that this lighthouse was open to go inside and since I had never been in one I figured it would be as good a time as any to check it out.

I tell ya this one was a tough one to find. Seemed like we drove for forever after getting off the highway, going further and further in to the middle of no where. I thought for sure we had gotten lost but after a good 35 minutes we did finally reach the location of the Walton Lighthouse.
Such a nice spot over looking the Minas Basin. Tide was out so the view looked pretty cool. The grounds of the lighthouse are very well kept, craft shop and outdoor washroom facilities available as well as an information center inside the lighthouse. The people here watching the place are very nice friendly folk so I found it to be a very pleasant stop.
There is also a very nice hiking trail, we didn't get to go on it this particular day, but it would definately make a great spot for an afternoon to spend some time in the great outdoors.


I thought it was extra cool to be able to go inside the lighthouse. Not only can you go in, but you can also climb the stairs to the top and view the actual light and see what the view looks like form the top. Below are a few photos of the actual light istelf.


And here are some spots of the spectacular view that can be seen. I really liked that the tide was out so they there was more to see than just open waters.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking things out. If you would like to visit this Lighthouse swing by lighthousefriends.com, I would be no good at giving directions to this one I'm afraid.
Happy Travels
~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment